PGCE acts as a professional ‘limiting’ qualification for applicants who have earned a suitable 360 or 480 credit Bachelor’s degree other than the BEd. The qualification accredits the development of professional competence reflexively grounded in the philosophy of education. Unisa presents this PGCE qualification by using both online and distance learning modes.
Date for Qualification; Applications for admission for the 2023 academic year will be open from 1 September to 15 December 2023.
Application Fee; Applicants are to pay R115 for online applications and R185 for hard copy applications (only in rare situations can hard copy applications be considered.
Who can register?
Applicants can register only after they have obtained confirmation from Unisa that they have accepted their application for admission. Unisa reserves the right not to process and/or cancel your application if you have been found to have been admitted to a qualification incorrectly.
How to choose your modules
- At least 36 NQF credits in your first year of study (3 modules of 12 credits each).
- At least 48 NQF credits in your second or subsequent years of study (4 modules of 12 credits each).
You can not register for more than the maximum number of credits/modules permitted per semester:
- At least 60 NQF credits in a semester (5 modules of 12 credits each).
- For annual modules, at least 120 NQF credits (10 modules of 12 credits each) per year.
Curriculum for this qualification
Group A. Compulsory Educational Themes. Choose any 4 modules
- EDAHOD5 – The Educator as Assessor
- EDDHODJ – The Educator as Learning Programme Developer
- EDLHODM – The Educator as Leader, Manager, and Administrator
- EDMHODR – The Educator as Mediator of Learning
- EDPHOD8 – The Educator in a Pastoral Role
- EDT1601 – Child Development
Group B. Compulsory Professional Studies.
- PFC101Q – Professional Studies Theme A: Social Sciences and Environmental Education
- PFC102R – Professional Studies Theme B: Teaching Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- PFC103S – Professional Studies Theme C: Technology Education, Economic Literacy and Entrepreneurship
- PFC104T – Teaching Practice (Including Oral Communication) Co-requisite:PFC101Q, PFC102R & PFC103S
Group C. Choose any 2 modules
- ETH302S – Inclusive Education A
- ETH305V – Multicultural Education (Educational Themes 305)
- EUP1501 – Ethical Information and Communication Technologies for Development Solutions
- HEC101V – Health Education
- PST131J – Language Teaching
- PST210G – Arts and Culture
PST312M – Physical Education and Sports Coaching
Calculate fees hereafter selecting modules.
UNISA Contact Infomation
- Preller Street, Muckleneuk Ridge, Pretoria
- Sunnyside campus (applications, registrations & learning centre):
- Cnr Justice Mahomed & Steve Biko Streets, Sunnyside, Pretoria
- Tel: 0800 005 311
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit Unisa’s Official Website.